This building is set in Piazza Vecchia Square in the upper town, which has been the city’s political centre for centuries. Palazzo della Ragione is in front of Palazzo Nuovo “New Palace”, and beside Palazzo del Podestà and the Torre Civica tower of the town hall.
This building, which is the oldest ministry building in Italy, was built at the end of the XII century, between 1183 and 1198, when first municipalities started to develop.
With the arrival of the Republic of Venice in the first half of XV century, municipality ended and this building became the place where people administered justice – this is the reason way its has been labelled as “ Building of reason”.
This building has been one of the first restoration works sponsored by ONE.